Table of Contents
- 1989 Tour Statistics & Notes
- Dead.Net Releases From 1989
- Sound Board Recording of 1989 Concerts on the Internet Archive
- Internet Archive Usage Notes
- Scarlet Begonia -> Fire On The Mountain in 1989
- Fantasy Dead Sets 1989: Whats On My IPOD
- 890704 Truckin’ Up To Buffalo Rich Stadium
- 891016 Nightfall Of Diamonds Meadowlands Arena
- 890707 Crimson White & Indigo – JFK Stadium
- 1989 – 1990 Without a Net
- Alpine Valley Music Theater in 1989 DVD
West L.A. Fadeaway Alpine Valley Music Theater in 1989
The Buffalo and Meadowlands concerts are not, in my opinion, the best of 1989. Nightfall of Diamonds in particular falls short of being a great show. However, like all Dead.Net releases the sound remixing is great. The vocals are far richer on these releases than on the more raw tapes found on the Internet Archive. Crimson White & Indigo is based on the 89/07/07 JFK Stadium Concert. This is a Dead.Net release which I do not own, so I am going on what I hear on the raw non-sound board recordings on the Internet Archive. The show includes a nice Scarlet Begonia ->Fire On The Mountain combination and a ‘big arena’ sound that some may find exciting. Without A Net was produced by Phil. Three cuts are from 1989. The production seems a little ‘cold’ to me. There is a DVD concert video which is a lot of fun: Alpine Valley Music Theater in 1989 DVD you can rent this at many video stores (or watch clips of the concert DVD available on YouTube and elsewhere).
Internet Archive Dead Soundboard Recordings – 1989
There are some interesting shows here and some fantastic (and unique) performances of individual songs. Brent and Jerry are interacting with amazing grace. Phil is flying. Jerry is in fine voice and guitar form. I am listing in this section only shows on the Internet Archive with sound board recordings for 1989. There are other gems out there on the Internet Archive which are available only in audience recordings. I have concentrated here on Soundboard (and where possible, Matrix) recordings of these two tours.
- 890327 The Omni: Those strange vocal effects you hear are not mistakes but a feature of this concert.
- 890406 Crisler Arena: Nice show.
- 890709 Giants Stadium: A nice, fast version of West L.A. Fadeaway.
- 890806 Cal Expo: Scarlet Begonias->Fire On The Mountain rocks
- 890930 Shoreline: Nice show.
- 891020 The Spectrum: Jerry is in full voice. The Dead preform “California Earthquake” – which they only preformed twice. A MUST listen.
The version of “The Other One” is very new age-y – very unusual treatment.
Internet Archive Usage Notes
In a prior post I explained two ways to capture “streaming media” off the Internet Archive. In this post I will give some pointers on finding Grateful Dead recordings on the Internet Archive. A good place to start is the Grateful Dead Collection Home Page. Try the link: Grateful Dead Shows on This Day in History. Listen to what others are downloading.
The Internet Archive supports an advanced search option. You can use the search templates provided here to narrow your search. Just change the date and/or target song phrases to match your needs and paste the text into the search Box.
collection:(GratefulDead) AND date:1989-??-??
returns all Grateful Dead recordings for 1989
collection:(GratefulDead) AND date:1989-??-?? AND (subject:”Soundboard” OR subject:”Matrix”)
returns all Grateful Dead recordings for 1989 in either soundboard or Matrix format
collection:(GratefulDead) AND date:1989-??-?? AND (subject:”Soundboard” OR subject:”Matrix”) AND “Fire On The Mountain”
Scarlet Begonias -> Fire On The Mountain in 1989
In general this song series is not as strong here as in the golden years (1977-1981), but interesting none the less.
- 890707 JFK Stadium – Three Stars (Note: This is Not A Sound Board Recording)
- 890806 Cal Expo – Four Stars
- 890406 Crisler Arena – Four Stars